- New emergency siren installed at dam that forced evacuations (Associated Press)
Officials say they have installed a new emergency siren at a Northern California dam whose damaged spillway forced evacuations earlier this year.
- Experts: Lack of Warning at Oroville Dam Raises Alarm (Associated Press)
The sudden collapse of spillways at the nation’s highest dam has raised alarm among those building, running and regulating big dams around the world because it seemed to come with little warning the spillways were on the verge of failing, dam experts investigating the crisis at California’s Oroville Dam said Thursday.
- Oroville Dam update: Fracture likely caused by ‘multiple factors’ (Sacramento Bee)
If you’re expecting a quick and easy answer on what caused the spillway failure at Oroville Dam, think again.
- The hidden opportunity for water storage in California (Environmental Defense Fund blog)
The hidden opportunity for water storage in California … With many reservoirs near capacity already, water managers have had to allow spring snowmelt to flow.
- Commentary: Desalination will not solve California’s water woes (The Mercury News)
In the wake of the recent drought, desalination of ocean water continues to be a central topic in California water debates.
- Fish wrap: Fort Baker strategy has potential to help salmon (Marin Independent Journal)