Policy & Operations Associate
This position will play a key role in managing the policy advocacy, member relations, and operations management for a leading non-profit organization that works with business partners, industry leaders, government agencies, and other stakeholders to advance sustainable commerce, industry, infrastructure, recreation, and the natural environment in the San Francisco Bay and its watershed. The Policy & Operations Associate will do extensive research and writing, policy analysis, communication and outreach with organizational leaders and policy makers, and planning and facilitating events and forums with relevant stakeholders. This position will also manage the marketing, communications, and day-to-day operations of the organization.
- Knowledge or interest in state and federal environmental and land use laws, regulations, plans, and programs, and their implementation in the Bay-Delta region
- Knowledge or interest in water, maritime, environmental and general public policy
- Familiar with environmental and marine science
- Bachelor’s degree or higher, preferably in the fields of environmental science or public policy
- At least 1-2 years of relevant professional experience
- Well organized, detail-oriented, and efficient, with experience in networking and marketing
- Able to communicates effectively (written and oral) with BPC members, partners, government and regulatory agency staff
- Technological proficiencies desired: Outlook, WordPress, Microsoft Office, File Maker Pro, Ticketleap, Google Analytics, PayPal, and various social media platforms
- Excellent attention to detail. You approach each assignment with care and attention, no matter how small the task. You focus on details and can be depended on to complete every task accurately.
- Excellent writing and research skills. Your written correspondence skills are impeccable, and you can communicate clearly through email correspondence with BPC members, associates, and government officials.
- Strong interpersonal skills. You are a strong team player, and you bring exceptional verbal and written communication skills and a professional mindset to every interaction. Comfortable with public speaking and networking with a diverse constituency of professionals.
Specific Job Responsibilities Will Include:
- Policy Research and Advocacy:
- Assist the CEO in refining and implementing BPC’s strategic vision
- Participate in research and providing recommendations on emerging topics and issues of concern
- Collaborate on developing written reports, comment letters, and public testimony to the state and federal agencies and state legislature regarding such regulations, plans and programs
- Participate in research to generate reliable and useful economic data related to maritime and shoreline activity
- Assist with or write white papers, policy letters, position statements, policy documents, abstracts etc. on key BPC positions
- Represent BPC at meetings of partner organizations and committees, publicly testify and advocate on behalf of member and BPC interests
- Take notes in meetings with regulators, stakeholders and elected officials on BPC and political initiatives
- Stay aware of ongoing and pending legislative actions and rule-making that may affect our members and interests
- Demonstrate to members and partners the value of BPC to their interests and to the local and regional economy and environment
- Play an active role in BPC’s expansion into new areas of the trade network in the greater SF Bay region, i.e. agriculture, rail, etc
- Be a public face of the organization, building relationships and networks of partners and stakeholders, growing membership, etc
- Participate as a BPC representative at public meetings
- Facilitate policy discussions at BPC Committee Meetings
- Event Planning
- Develop, coordinate and provide staffing assistance for BPC educational events: expert briefings, workshops, and conferences, ranging in size from 40 – 350 people
- Assist the CEO in developing topics and agendas, convening planning meetings, and all event logistics
- Identify, invite and secure speakers, coordinate all speaker presentation collateral
- Write and oversee production of all conference print and media materials
- Responsible for all conference/event marketing via email blasts, social media, website, coordination with partner organizations, etc.
- Find and book caterers, videographers, sound engineers, etc.
- Responsible for event details such as name tags, attendance tracking, seating arrangements
- Set up online ticketing for each event, manage payments, track sign-ups
- Assist CEO to solicit conference sponsors, handle sponsor benefits and financial tracking
- Continue to improve upon a robust marketing outreach program to highlight BPC issues, successes, business development and membership
- Manage email marketing schedule to spread the word about BPC initiatives and events, including a monthly e-Newsletter
- Responsible for all daily website management and postings of relevant and timely news items and events of
- Management of all aspects of company website, liaison with web consultant/ graphic designer
- Membership management and engagement:
- Communicate with BPC members by writing monthly newsletters and sending selected email alerts; preparing correspondence and providing information to members on permit and planning issues
- Manage two email addresses, answer varied inquiries from members promptly and accurately
- Play key role in solicitation of new members via
- phone calls
- mass e-blasts
- membership packets
- Keep membership statuses and contact information up to date in multiple databases
- General Office Management:
- Assist the CEO to organize, convene and staff BPC’s Board of Directors and committee meetings; take notes and generate minutes as needed
- Supervise Intern work and provide guidance.
- Manage all information technology including: software updates, security updates, network flow and filing, file backups, on-going maintenance and outside tech support as needed.
- Perform all job functions on remote server, and maintain essential documentation and records within server
- Research and recommend cost-saving measures for all areas including: equipment, HR issues, office administration, consultants, and technical support.
- Coordinate with service providers: Copier, Webmaster, Phone, etc
How to apply
Please email the following application materials to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please write your name and the title for this position (“Your name – Policy & Operations Associate”) in the subject line of your email. In your application, please include the following:
- Cover letter explaining your interest in the position and your available start date.
- Short writing sample
- At least two references with contact information
The deadline for application submissions is Thursday October 1st at 5:00pm.
No phone calls please!
Hours: Full Time (40 hours per week), position available immediately.
Location: Oakland, CA
Compensation: $50,000 – $65,000 per year
Tags: bpc, jobs