A Spare the Air Burn Ban Alert has been issued through Friday, September 11, 2020 throughout the Bay Area.
EBMUD is a member of the BAAQMD Spare the Air Employer Program
BAAQMD is forecasting the Air Quality Index to be unhealthy due to increased concentrations of particulate matter. Smoke from numerous fires are currently impacting air quality in portions of the Bay Area.
It is illegal for Bay Area residents and businesses to burn wood or manufactured fire logs in fireplaces, woodstoves and inserts, pellet stoves, outdoor fire pits, or any other wood burning devices.
Concentrations of particulate matter pollution are forecast to be unhealthy. High levels of particulate matter pollution are harmful to breathe, especially for young children, seniors and those with respiratory and heart conditions. Protect your health by staying indoors and avoid unnecessary outdoor activities if feasible. Help reduce the amount of air pollution and protect you and your family’s health every day, both at work and at home, by doing the following:
• Walk or ride: Walking or riding a bike to commute or run errands saves gas and money AND improves your health too!
• Link your trips: Is this a day that you have to be in the field? When possible reschedule trips for a non-Spare the Air day.
• Avoid engine idling: Make an effort to reduce engine idling. Idling wastes fuel and money and affects your health.
• Stay steady: Minimize pedal and brake changes with a steady speedometer and you can improve gas mileage by 33 percent on the highway.
• Select safer products: Use non-toxic, non-aerosol cleaning and beauty products to improve indoor air quality and protect your health.
• Power down: Reducing electricity use whether you are at work or home saves you money and protects the environment.
• No Wood Burning: Be advised that during a Burn Ban Alert that all wood burning is banned both indoors and outdoors for the duration of the alert.