Late last week, the State Water Resources Control Board issued the final draft of the Industrial General Storm Water Permit.
The final draft permit can be obtained from the State Water Board’s website at http://www.waterboards.ca.gov/water_issues/programs/stormwater/industrial.shtml
The major changes in this draft are:
- Training requirements are simplified. Only one type of Qualified Industrial Storm Water Practitioner (QISP) is mandated. QISP training is not required until exceedance response actions are triggered.
- Monitoring requirements are simplified. One monthly visual observation is required. Storm water visual observations are now tied to sampling events, which are required twice in each half of the year.
- Exceedance response actions would differ depending on the magnitude and frequency of the exceedence.
- Participants in Compliance Groups will receive a 50 percent reduction in sampling.
- Annual reporting requirements are reduced.
- New “No-Discharge” eligibility requirements are set for dischargers eligible to file a Notice of Non-Applicability.
Comments on the revised draft are due by noon on August 29, 2013. A public hearing will be held on August 21, 2013 before the State Water Board at 1001 I Street, Second Floor in Sacramento.
Two workshops will be held to explain the proposed requirements and respond to any questions. A web-based workshop will be held at 9:30 a.m. on August 9. A face-to-face and web-based workshop will be held on August 14, 2013 at 1:30pm. The workshop will be held at the CalEPA Building Training Room 2 East and West, 1001 I Street, Second Floor in Sacramento.
Registration is required to attend via Webex. Please register at https://waterboards.webex.com/waterboards/j.php?ED=214507402&RG=1&UID=1458565657&RT=MiM0
Adoption of the final draft Industrial General Permit is anticipated for early 2014.
Weiss has been tracking the revisions to the Industrial General Permit. If you would like more information about the new requirements, please contact Agata Sulczynski at email@example.com or at 510.450.6119