One of our Founding Board Members, John Briscoe, made it on page 25 of the California Supreme Court Historical Society Spring / Summer Newsletter. Read below about the highlights or just click the link below to read the newsletter:
The latest issue of the California Supreme Court Historical Society’s Newsletter is now available on the Society’s website. The newsletter includes:
- A feature article, written by California Supreme Court Associate Justice Kathryn Werdergar, entitled “A Tribute to Selma.” The article recounts some of the accomplishments during the long and distinguished career of Selma Moidel Smith, one of the Society’s directors and the editor of California Legal History, the Society’s flagship scholarly journal. It’s accompanied by photos of Selma with Princess Grace (Grace Kelly), Chief Justice Earl Warren, and symphony conductor Zubin Mehta.
- An article, written by former California Supreme Court Justice Joseph Grodin, about the unique memorial lecture series honoring the late Justice Mathew Tobriner, established shortly after his death and held annually at Hastings for over 20 years.
- An article about the induction of the late Chief Justice Roger Traynor into the California Hall of Fame, including Governor Jerry Brown’s address at the induction ceremonies and photographs of the Chief Justice’s life from childhood in a hardscrabble Utah mining town to his lectureship at Hastings after his retirement from the Court.
- An article on Justice Werdegar’s delivery of the prestigious Jefferson Memorial Lecture at UC Berkeley, on “Direct Democracy and the California Supreme Court”.
- A warm-hearted and witty profile of former Society Board President (and former Court of Appeal Justice) Elwood Lui, written by his good friend Arthur Gilbert, Presiding Justice of the California Court of Appeal, Second District, Division Six.
- A selection of historic photographs from the corridors of the Supreme Court.
- And more.
The following link will let you view the Spring/Summer 2012 newsletter: