UPERVISORS: PLEASE INFORM EMPLOYEES WITHOUT ACCESS TO OUTLOOK
Message approved by Chandra Johannesson, Manager of Environmental Compliance
A Winter Spare the Air Alert has been extended through Tuesday, December 22nd
throughout the San Francisco Bay Area
EBMUD is a member of the BAAQMD Spare the Air Employer Program
BAAQMD is forecasting Air Quality Index to be unhealthy. It is illegal for Bay Area residents to burn wood or other solid fuels in fireplaces, wood stoves and inserts, pellet stoves, outdoor fire-pits, or other wood-burning devices.
Help reduce the amount of air pollution and protect you and your family’s health every day, both at work and at home, by doing the following:
· Link your trips: When possible reschedule trips for a non-Spare the Air day.
· Avoid engine idling: Make an effort to reduce engine idling. Idling wastes fuel, money and affects your health.
· Stay steady: Minimize pedal and brake changes with a steady speedometer and you can improve gas mileage by 33 percent on the highway.
· Select safer products: Use non-toxic, non-aerosol cleaning and beauty products to improve indoor air quality and protect your health.
· Power down: Reducing electricity use whether you are at work or home saves you money and protects the environment.
· No Wood Burning: In the winter months, additional health impacts are related to smoke generated from wood burning. During Winter Spare the Air events, be advised that all wood burning is banned both indoors and outdoors for the duration of the alert.
East Bay Municipal Utility District
Regulatory Compliance / ECS
375 – 11th Street, MS 704
Oakland, CA 94607