This message approved by Chandra Johannesson, Manager of Environmental Compliance:
A Spare the Air Alert has been issued for Thursday, July 26, 2018, throughout the Bay Area.
EBMUD is a member of the BAAQMD Spare the Air Employer Program
BAAQMD is forecasting tomorrow’s Air Quality Index to be unhealthy due to increased levels of ground-level ozone.
People with respiratory disease, such as asthma, should avoid prolonged outdoor exertion; everyone else should limit prolonged outdoor exertion. Ozone can aggravate asthma, cause short term breathing difficulties, and cause lung inflammation.
Help reduce the amount of air pollution and protect you and your family’s health every day, both at work and at home, by doing the following:
· Take transit: Take advantage of the District’s Transit Subsidy and save gas, money, and stress. Worried about needing to get home in an emergency? The District offers guaranteed rides home.
· Walk or ride: Walking or riding a bike to commute or run errands saves gas and money AND improves your health too!
· Link your trips: Is this a day that you have to be in the field or attend off-site meetings? Carpool to the site and group your site visits. When possible reschedule trips for a non-Spare the Air day.
· Avoid engine idling: Make an effort to reduce engine idling. Idling wastes fuel and money and affects your health.
· Stay steady: Minimize pedal and brake changes with a steady speedometer and you can improve gas mileage by 33 percent on the highway.
· Select safer products: Use non-toxic, non-aerosol cleaning and beauty products to improve indoor air quality and protect your health.
· Power down: Reducing electricity use whether you are at work or home saves you money and protects the environment.Tags: air pollution, Bay Area, East Bay, oakland, San Francisco Bay, sf, Spare the Air