Job Description: Associate Policy and Office Administrator
Bay Planning Coalition seeks a full-time Associate Policy and Office Administrator.
The Bay Planning Coalition (BPC) was founded in 1983 to create an informed, balanced consensus, based on outreach and collaboration, on issues impacting the environmental health and economic vitality of the San Francisco Bay-Delta Estuary (Estuary), the largest on the Pacific Coasts of North and South America, and the second largest in the United States.
BPC is a membership driven, 501(c)(4) non-profit public benefit corporation that works to monitor current and emerging issues relating to the economy, environment, and public use of the estuary as well as the aspects of public laws and policies which bear on those issues. To fulfill its mission, BPC draws upon the interest and involvement of a broad membership which includes representatives from government, industry, environmental organizations, and the scientific and engineering communities. Working with lawmakers, leaders of governmental agencies and businesses, citizens’ groups and other stakeholders through a process of study, dialogue, and collaboration, BPC develops and advocates solutions to those issues.
- Monitors state and federal environmental and land use laws, regulations, plans, and programs, and their implementation in the Bay-Delta region
- Knowledge of or interest in water, maritime, environmental and general public policy, and/or environmental and marine science
- Bachelor’s degree or higher
- Well organized, detail-oriented, and efficient, with experience in networking and marketing
- Communicates effectively (written and oral) with BPC members, partners, government and regulatory agency staff
- Exceptional research and analytical writing skills
- A team player
- Comfortable with some public speaking
- Develop, coordinate and provide staffing assistance for BPC educational events: expert briefings, workshops, and conferences, ranging in size from 40 – 350 people
- Assist the Executive Director in developing topics and agendas, convening planning meetings, and all event logistics
- Identify, invite and secure speakers, coordinate all speaker presentation collateral
- Write and oversee production of all conference print and media materials
- Responsible for all conference/event marketing via email blasts, social media, website, coordination with partner organizations, etc.
- Find and book caterers, vidoegraphers, sound engineers, etc.
- Responsible for event details such as name tags, attendance tracking, seating arrangements
- Set up online ticketing for each event, manage payments, track sign-ups
- Assist Executive Director to solicit conference sponsors, handle sponsor benefits and financial tracking
- Continue to improve upon a robust marketing outreach program to highlight BPC issues, successes, business development and membership
- Manage mass email schedule to spread the word about BPC initiatives and events, including a monthly e-Newsletter
- Responsible for all daily website postings of relevant and timely news items and events of
- Management of all aspects of company website, liaison with web consultant/ graphic designer
- Communicate with BPC members by writing monthly newsletters and sending selected email alerts; preparing correspondence and providing information to members on permit and planning issues
- Manage two email addresses, answer varied inquiries from members promptly and accurately
- Keep membership statuses and contact information up to date in multiple databases
- Play key role in solicitation of new members via
- phone calls
- mass e-blasts
- membership packets
General Office Management/Administrative:
- First point of contact for all incoming phone calls and office visitors
- Assist the Executive Director to organize, convene and staff BPC’s Board of Directors and committee meetings; take notes and generate minutes as needed
- Supervise Intern work and provide guidance.
- Manage all information technology including: software updates, security updates, network flow and filing, file backups, on-going maintenance and outside tech support as needed.
- Perform all job functions on remote server, and maintain essential documentation and records within server
- Research and recommend cost-saving measures for all areas including: equipment, HR issues, office administration, consultants, and technical support.
- Maintain inventory of collateral and office supplies, maintain office equipment, and office tidiness.
- Coordinate with service providers: Copier, Webmaster, Phone, etc
- Technological proficiencies desired (not necessarily required):
Paypal Virtual Terminal
Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn
Microsoft Word, Excel, Power Point, Publisher
File Maker Pro
- Assist Executive Director in refining and implementing BPC’s strategic vision
- Participate in research and providing recommendations on emerging topics and issues of concern
- Collaborate on developing written reports, comment letters, and public testimony to the state and federal agencies and state legislature regarding such regulations, plans and programs
- Participate in research to generate reliable and useful economic data related to maritime and shoreline activity
- Assist with or write white papers, position statements, policy documents, abstracts etc. on key BPC positions
- Represent BPC at meetings of partner organizations and committees, publicly testify and advocate on behalf of member and BPC interests
- Take notes in meetings with regulators, stakeholders and elected officials on BPC and political initiatives
- Stay aware of ongoing and pending legislative actions and rule-making that may affect our members and interests
- Demonstrate to members and partners the value of BPC to their interests and to the local and regional economy and environment
- Play an active role in BPC’s expansion into new areas of the trade network in the greater SF Bay region, ie agriculture, rail, etc
- Be a public face of the organization, building relationships and networks of partners and stakeholders, growing membership, etc
Salary range: $50,000-$65,000 / year
Applications are accepted through March 28, 2014
All interested and qualified applicants should send as attachments, in PDF format:
- cover letter
- short writing sample
- at least 2 references with contact information