Please forward this newsletter to anyone who may be interested. November 30, 2016
Funding Needed to Support Important Biosolids Research
As a result of CASA’s advocacy, the Water Environment & Reuse Foundation (WE&RF) is undertaking research to understand the benefits of biosolids application on fire-ravaged land. CASA developed the study design and assembled the research team for the project, which is a key element of the Utility Leadership Committee priority action plan.
Your help is needed to allow the project to move forward. WE&RF is actively soliciting funding contributions nationally and internationally to raise the $200,000 project budget. [more…]
Popular Political Strategists to Address CASA Winter Conference
On the eve of inauguration day, political strategists Matt Rexroad and Paul Mitchell will share their insights on California’s future and assess the impact of the national election in our state. Matt and Paul received high ratings for their presentation at the January 2013 conference, and we are pleased to have them back for the 2017 Winter Conference to provide their thought provoking and often humorous outlook.
Legislature to be Sworn-In December 5 for the 2017-18 Session
On Monday, December 5, all of the newly elected and returning legislators will be coming to Sacramento to formally organize and swear-in the new senators and assembly members for the upcoming legislative session. The two houses will also spend time adopting procedural measures to establish the rules for the new session and formally adopt leadership positions and the schedule for next year. Many legislators bring their families to town for the occasion, and celebrate afterwards at numerous parties and meet-and-greets hosted by various groups.
After the swearing in ceremony the legislators will return to their districts for the holidays. They will reconvene for the official session kick-off the first week of January.
Is WIFIA right for you? Find out by participating in a USEPA webinar.
Over the next month, the USEPA will be hosting a series of informational sessionsabout the Water Infrastructure Finance and Innovation Act (WIFIA) program. The sessions are targeted at prospective WIFIA borrowers including municipal entities, corporations, partnerships, and organizations that support prospective borrowers. In each session, EPA will focus on a specific topic and provide participants the opportunity to ask questions. [more…]
State Water Board Requests Sewer Rate and Capacity Fee Information
The State Water Board’s Division of Financial Assistance (DFA) is conducting a survey of sewer rates and connection (capacity) fees for FY 2016-17 and is asking for input from the wastewater community. The survey is now available online, and the accompanying questionnaire should assist agencies in gathering requisite information for the survey. It should take approximately 15 minutes to complete after gathering the information. CASA members are invited to complete the survey at your earliest convenience. The survey information assists the Water Board with providing communities with financing to address water quality problems and will be made available by the Water Board once complete. If you cannot complete the survey online, you may email the completed form to DFA-Survey@waterboards.ca.gov.
- The Vallecitos Water District has announced the appointment of Glenn Pruim as its new General Manager. Mr. Pruim replaces Dennis O. Lamb, who retired last June. Vallecitos Board President, Mike Sannella said “[a]fter a nationwide search we selected the ideal candidate: a General Manager with skills in drinking water, desalinated water, recycled water and wastewater collection.” Learn more about Mr. Pruim.
- The Central Contra Costa Sanitary District has hired Phil Leiber as its new Director of Finance & Administration. Phil will lead Central San’s finance, purchasing, information technology, risk management, communication services and intergovernmental relations activities. Phil previously served as CFO of the Los Angeles Department of Water and Power.
- The Orange County Sanitation District has a new website, which includes a fresh new look, enhanced features and streamlined navigation. General Manager Jim Herberg says the new website “has great new content and a new look and feel. I hope you will take a few minutes to visit our new site and check out the features our new site offers.”
- Long time CASA associate member RMC has merged with Woodard & Curran, a firm founded in Maine in 1979 to help clients address the needs arising out of the Clean Water Act. The company has grown steadily since that time with a focus on water and environmental services. RMC was founded in the San Francisco Bay Area in 1998 and will retain its focus on serving its clients in California.
- “We were at a critical point in our growth,” said RMC President Alyson Watson. “Joining forces with Woodard & Curran allows us to expand our capabilities and offer more to our existing clients, and it gives us a national platform to deliver our expertise in water resources to many new clients.”
- Think you are drought savvy? Find out by taking the Public Policy Institute of California’s drought quiz.
- Do you need financial assistance to explore whether your agency can improve water and energy efficiency? Conduct a water and/or energy audit to assess your agency’s current practices and identify potentially inefficient water and/or energy use. The State Water Resources Control Board can fund 100% of audit costs, up to a maximum of $35,000. Apply online by submitting a Water or Energy Audit Financial Assistance Application with attachments through FAAST (Financial Assistance Application Submittal Tool).
- Got biomethane? The University of California is looking for a long-term supply of biomethane. Sign up for more information about the RFP, including a pre-application workshop in early December.
Now Hiring!CASA members have numerous opportunities available. Visit our Job Board for details.
Date Organization Event Location Jan. 18-20, 2017 CASA Palm Springs Feb. 27 – March 1, 2017 CASA Washington, D.C. April 19, 2017 CASA/WateReuse Sacramento
Visit our website: www.casaweb.orgCopyright ©2016. All rights reserved. Contact us: (916) 446-0388