Ocean Planning is a new concept to many on the West Coast. To help shed more light on the subject, and facilitate dialogue among diverse stakeholders, Bay Planning Coalition is hosting one of the first workshops on Ocean Planning to be convened on the West Coast.
Ocean Planning means collaborative foresight and long-range design for the balanced use and protection of the ocean’s vast resources. It means weighing the interests of the maritime shipping industry, the fishing industry, aquaculture, off-shore energy developers, recreational users, marine conservation, and more.
Ocean Planning has impacts on shipping lanes, shipping speeds, ship maneuvering and navigation, and ship fuel usage. While Ocean Planning is vitally important to protecting the health of our oceans and the viability of industries that depend on ocean resources, it can also involve restrictions and changes that may have implications for maritime trade and the wide economy of the Bay Area and West Coast.
The Bay and the Ocean are inextricably linked, thus BPC and its members have an important role in developing sound policies that provide for the sound and responsible economic and environmental use and attention to Ocean resources.
Don’t miss this unique chance to hear from our expert speakers and panelists. Bring your questions!
- John Stein, Director- Northwest Fisheries Science Center, NOAA
- Michael Jones, President, The Maritime Alliance
- Cat Kuhlman, Executive Director, Ocean Protection Council
- John Berge, Vice President, Pacific Merchant Shipping Association
- Michael Carver, Deputy Superintendent, Cordell Bank National Marine Sanctuary
- Commander Jason Tama, Prevention Department Chief, US Coast Guard – Sector San Francisco
- Eric Poncelet, Senior Director, Kearns & West
- John Briscoe, Partner, Briscoe Ivester & Bazel; Distinguished Senior Visiting Scholar at the Law of the Sea Institute, UC Berkeley
- Richard Sinkoff, Director of Environmental Programs & Planning, Port of Oakland
- Brian Baird, Director – Ocean and Coastal Program, The Bay Institute & Aquarium of the Bay
- Will McClintock, Center for Marine Assessment and Planning & SeaSketch
- David Ivester, Partner, Briscoe Ivester & Bazel
Wednesday, February 12, 2014
8:30 am – 12:30 pm
The Bay Theater, Aquarium of the Bay
Pier 39, San Francisco, CA
Discounted registration is available for BPC Members, Government Employees and Students
Visit the Workshop Website for all the information, a draft agenda, and more resources on Ocean Planning!